September 11, 2012

Always Remember, Never Forget!


I still cannot believe it has been 11 years since tragedy scarred my beloved city! Every single time I see 9/11 documentaries, I get the chills because it could have been me, it could have been anybody else! I remember this tragic event happening like if it were yesterday...


I was attending the 5th grade in the Bronx, New York. I noticed at one point in time, how in the middle of our Social Studies class, almost all the kids were being signed out by their parents (their parents went to go pick them up). I was completely confused because the telephone in the classroom would go off about every 3-5 minutes, telling the teacher that someone's parents are there to pick up their child. I, unfortunately, did not have the luck to be taken out of school early. Out of about 25 kids in the class, there was a remainder of 4 girls (including myself), and 3 boys. Something was definitely off!

When I got home, my mom turned on the news channel, and that is where I then discovered what was going on. The projects where I stayed at had a great view of the George Washington Bridge, and the smoke from the World Trade Center that hovered it. At this point, I could not believe what had happened; how these terrorist attacks were so close to home!

I am in awe with the bravery that the firefighter and police officers risked their lives, put their lives in jeopardy, to save others! My condolences and prayers goes out to the people who lost their family, friend, or spouse. I understand that this day never gets any easier, but tragically, it has brought us all together to support each other.

May the ones who lost their lives rest in peace, and may God bless their souls! Always remember, never forget!

Love always,
Arantxa

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.